Thursday, February 11, 2010

People are mean.

Maybe it's because I was so mean when I was little, but I've made it a personal mission to be generally nice. It's actually not all that difficult, and it's made ME happier. Which begs the question: Why are people mean? And I don't mean specifically. I understand situational meanness... If someone is mean to you, you be mean back. It's human nature (if not only un-Christlike). But why be mean just to be mean?
For instance, foxnews.com put up a poll: What should DC call it's storms? I personally have been referring to them as Snowmaggedon. Other options are snowpocolyps, snowball warming, filiblizard (like filibuster...). After you vote you can comment and read other people's comments. It's been utterly bizarre to me how mean people have been in their comments. Yes, people are being mean about the news coverage of our record breaking snow storms. I realize other parts of the country get this much snow every year, but we don't. We've shattered our seasonal snow fall record by ten inches and we have more storms coming. The roads in Baltimore were literally shut down. When there is excessive flooding in the west I expect to hear about it. When a massive hurricane hits the gulf I expect to hear about it. If the north is covered in ice, I expect to hear about it. Why does our extreme weather inspire anger and hatred?
Maybe I'm just being sensitive... No, I AM being sensitive. I feel disconnected and isolated (by the storm, go figure) and we're only eleven days from a deployment. Uhg. I'm like a raw nerve, a raw nerve packed in ice!

2 comments:

  1. That has always boggled my brain also, people being so irritatingly rude on comments online. I think it's because they feel anonymous that they think they can get away with it. To which I mentally respond, "God is watching." I agree, being nice makes everyone happier.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree, Cheller! These people apparently don't have anything better to do in their little lives than to belittle others online... only cause they wouldn't do it in person. I agree with Summer too... God is watching, and he'll get em. Maybe even with a weather phenomenon .... like a massive DROUGHT! No rain.. bet you'll hear about that!

    ReplyDelete