Monday, November 9, 2009

Due Date UpDate

*sigh*
So, Thursday night we did... that thing... you know, that got us into this situation! and there was some bleeding... Alright, there was a lot of bleeding. The kind of bleeding you don't just sit around and wait to stop. We went straight to the hospital where they hooked me up and checked me out. Baby sounded terrific! His heart rate was only a tiny bit slower than normal (and totally within healthy range) but I was contracting. I had NO idea! I didn't really believe the nurse at first; she showed me the tape, put her hand on my belly and said, "see there it is, feel your stomach." Sure enough, it was hard as a rock and Baby wasn't moving! Once it finished he freaked out and the nurses thought he was so cute! They were very impressed by his leg strength! We had to hang around for a while until the hospital's OB was able to come in (my OB didn't think it was necessary for her to come see me). She finally came in about 45 minutes later and checked everything out. The bleeding had slowed and wasn't coming from anything really important but I was 70% effaced and between one and 2cm. They wanted me to walk around for an hour and see if there were any changes. We protested. I talked to the nurse and told her even if I were in labor we'd be going home once they checked me. We want most of our laboring to happen at home, not in the hospital. She called my OB and gave us the go ahead to go home, get some sleep, and come into the office in the morning.
Friday morning I had an appointment with my primary care about an echo I had had the week before. Everything looked terrific! When the nurse took my blood pressure though she was surprised my how high it was and asked if I had trouble with it. I said, "no, I may be in labor though." She was stunned, "what are you going to do now?" I told her I was going across the hall as soon as I was done there. When I got across the hall I had to see one of the OB partners, mine was at the hospital. I really really liked this OB. She gave me terrific compliments and told me, based on what she was seeing, that my labor would be a breeze! The bad news? There is always bad news for us... My strep B culture came back positive. It could amount to nothing or it could cause infection in me and/or the baby and we could both die. Good thing I didn't know that the night before, they may not have let me go! She said it's no big deal, I just have to come in sooner and get antibiotics ever four hours. I said, "oh, it's a big deal..." "What's the problem?" "I one time passed out when my mom was getting an IV placed... I take a Xanax every time I get blood taken... If I have to get an IV I'm going to be so stressed my body is going to shut down and I'm going to need pitcocin and an epidural and in the end I'm going to have to have a cesarean because I can't handle all those needles!!!" She told me they may be able to give me a little Valium before placing the IV (once she looked it up though she found out it's not an option, big surprise), and I'll be fine. She sent me home with an IV catheter so we could "become friends" and told me to familiarize myself with the process so I won't be so creeped out! The cath is on the table and sometimes I pick my teeth with it!
As of this morning, things are moving pretty slowly, but I've got a chiropractic appointment (which can induce labor) and a friend coming to help me clean... We're shooting for lots of labor inducing activity! I'd like to have this baby out by the weekend, but who knows? He's been on his own time line all along! Still, he's been fantastic through the whole thing!

4 comments:

  1. OMG! You pick your teeth with that thing?! Now THAT'S "best friend" activity! :) I love you, and I LOVE LOVE LOVE that baby Boy! Tell him Aunti Hay says: "COME OUT!" :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha! You're so funny :) Picking your teeth with a catheter is hilarious! Well i've had one of those things in and it was no fun at all i tell you. But you'll do great! It must be comforting to hear from a lot of people that you are doing well in the pregnancy and thinks are looking better than most! I hope you have a smooth and quick labor and that baby makes his entrance SOON! :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Have your husband massage your feet and concentrate on the area behind your ankle bone. There is a pressure point there and it helps induce labor. TRUST ME!! I did it for a friend and she had the baby really soon after. If nothing else, it is a foot massage! :) Good luck welcoming your baby boy into the world!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You know... I think my comment actually worked... Aunti Hay said "come out.." and look at that... next day!

    ReplyDelete